Monday, April 5, 2010

Easton Press: Aeschylus' The Oresteia




We are selling two different copies of The Oresteia by Aeschylus published by Easton Press. Both are bound in leather with gilt edges, moire endpapers, and a ribbon sewn in as a bookmark. The title pages give the same information. The way to tell them apart is by their covers designs. The books also have different heights and widths.

We have two separate listings on Amazon for these books because each listing comes with a sample of what the cover looks like. When I was preparing to list the book on the right, I was looking for the translator, and illustrator, and the author of the Introduction, I also found the Publisher's Note. At the end of the Publisher's Note, I found that the bookplate with a previous owner's name, had been pasted onto the blank space at the bottom of the page. The book on the left has no bookplate.

Easton used the translation by E. D. A. Morhead. The introduction is by Rex Warner. The illustrations are by Michael Ayrton. The book is part of the series of the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written.


Now, for my disclaimer about my abilities as a photographer. I think the photographs are in focus. I think a true photogrpher would be hardpressed to find any other redeeming characteristic. I know the colors aren't accurate. The paper appears too yellow. The bit of the satin bookmark that is showing is too yellow. The bit of the moire endpaper is too yellow. The book doesn't look straight; that is my fault not the book's. The list goes on and on. I hope the photgraphs do provide enough information for you to think the books themselves would be a good addition to a collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment