|Browsing books at the |
Spring 2016 sale.
But you should be curious, because seeing where the George Mason Friends distribute these proceeds will remind you of what a truly wonderful resource we have here at George Mason and throughout Fairfax County. And whether you buy books, donate them, or volunteer, you should be proud of the role you play in keeping that resource strong!
What follows is a summary of what George Mason Friends' funds support. In upcoming posts, we will go into a few of them in more detail.
- The Fairfax County Summer Reading Program, which encourages children and teens to read for pleasure during summer vacation.
- Children, teen and adult programs held at the George Mason Regional Library. Browse the schedule, and you'll be amazed at the diversity of offerings, from story times to internet assistance to yoga classes.
- Fall for the Book, a week-long, regional literary festival held at George Mason University, Fairfax County Libraries, and other local sites. This year, the festival runs from September 25-Friday, September 30.
Chef Joe Yonan leads a
- The Fairfax County Library Foundation Jubilee, an annual celebration of our libraries and the Foundation's primary fundraiser for county library programs like Changing Lives Through Literature, which gives first-time juvenile offenders an alternative to formal court action, and Ready to Read Early Literacy Outreach, which brings interactive reading experiences to preschool students.
- The Fairfax County Library Foundation Scholarship Program, which awards four different scholarships annually to enhance the skills and talents of current or future library staff and volunteers in Fairfax County.
- George Mason Regional Library support for special purchases, such as the tables and chairs in the meeting room, re-upholstery of the library's club chairs, and special cases such as the one used to display Hot Picks and Staff Picks and the various theme displays.
- George Mason Gardeners, the volunteers who plant and maintain the beautiful flower beds around the library.
- Grants to the Woodrow Wilson and Thomas Jefferson community branch FCPL libraries.
- George Mason Regional Library staff support for things like professional development opportunities and recognitions.
We are able to do all of this because of your purchases and donations. If you would like to do more, we are always looking for volunteers to process donations, do publicity, and staff the book sales. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-813-6616.